Thursday, July 12, 2012

Encouragement to Persevere

I have a dream.

I know its cliche, but I do. I dream of communities where people from all racial, economic, and social backgrounds can come together for a common goal.

Communities with people who rise up as leaders to show that growth and change are possible. Communities where people support one another, where each looks out for his neighbor as if it were himself.

I don't dream of a place on Earth with no more hate, division, or selfish behavior. I don't dream of a place without struggle. Because as long as we remain in this human flesh, then pride, hate, division, selfishness, and struggle will always rear their ugly head. However, I dream of communities filled with people that persevere with one another through sin and struggle alike.

We must lift each other and those who are struggling, outcast, undesirable, etc up to the heartbeat of the Father. Because I'm convinced that all of us share the same deep longing to be truly known, to have security and stability.

My trip to Mission: St. Louis reinforced this dream because I saw a glimpse of what the previously described community could look like.

I say reinforced because whether it's a rescue mission in South Dakota, a laundromat in Las Vegas, a native american reservation in Arizona, a neighborhood in St. Louis, or a whole network of non profits & churches in Ohio, I have seen firsthand communities and people working with every fiber of their being to realize this dream of the kingdom of heaven lived out on Earth.

I'm not ignorant anymore to the fact that there are real heroes all over this world who are dedicating their lives to other people and to seeing real change.  These are people you would never know existed, and thats the way they like it. Because they aren't in it for recognition or praise, they are in it so that the name of Jesus be lifted high and so that people in need know there is a God who loves them.

They believe in loving people in action & in truth.

We have one life. Let's use it to make sure that the people who encounter us, encounter Jesus. It's not about you or me and we are not doing it alone. We are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses and have the promise of Jesus that he will walk with us always, to the very end of the age.


No comments:

Post a Comment