Friday, January 25, 2013

Does God Know What He is Doing?

That is one of many questions I have asked myself lately.

Could He be wrong about the direction my life should take? Can he be distracted from his love for me? Can that love change? As I mess up, can God be shaken by my misdeeds? Can I change God? Can my circumstances?

I think if any of us said we have never doubted God, we would be lying to ourselves.

While at first glance those questions don't sound very becoming of a follower of Christ, they are a reality of our broken humanity. As much as we try to follow Christ, to be like him, and obey his will, life will inevitably lead to times when we find ourselves questioning God.

I believe at those points there are 2 ways to handle it.

1. We can feel terrible for ever doubting God and put ourselves through a good amount of shame and guilt until our behavior is corrected.

or

2. We can be honest about it, share it with God (and others we trust), and work through it.

I prefer the 2nd way.

Questioning God is normal, and is sometimes born out of arrogance, sometimes born out of fear and anxiety. Both ways are ultimately prideful, because they are our way of saying "I know what is best and God does not."

Folks, I have to be honest, we don't know whats best. Believe me, it is a battle I am fighting with God even now. Trying to tell him how things should be. Yet time and time again and I humbled to realize, God really does know what he is doing.

And no, even though we as humans can be easily shaken, God cannot.

"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe."

(Hebrews 12:28 emphasis mine)

I dont know what shakes you to the core, what makes you question God. But I do know that without a doubt, God is faithful and that he really cares about us and who we are becoming.

Much of life is about how we interpret or making meaning of the circumstances surrounding us. We can choose to view life through the lens of God's love for us and faithful plan to mature us and grow our character, or we can view ourselves as victims caught in an endless cycle of tragedy and pain.

I'll make a deal with you. Next time we both feel the desire to question God, lets put the accusation and hurt on pause, and instead seek a different perspective on the matter, because there is a good chance that what we perceive as God being against us is really the opposite.


No comments:

Post a Comment