Tuesday, July 28, 2015

You Are Good at Relationships.

Over the course of my life, I have been blessed to know lots of people and have many relationships. Within those I have learned much about myself and my identity, both the good parts and the bad. Unfortunately, whether it’s lies about my identity others have knowingly or unknowingly made me believe or mistakes I have made in relationships that led to real consequences, I have developed a narrative in my head most days that I am bad at relationships. 

Sometimes this leads to isolation, other times it causes me to fight for myself and I   become mean, arrogant, or just plain selfish. But a thought struck me today as I was reading “Scary Close” by Donald Miller (a book I highly recommended), which is all   about connecting with others in true intimacy in light of who God is and our identity as his children.

Miller talks about a conversation he had with a friend where Miller was highlighting all of his relationship mistakes and baggage. Miller's friend tells him that in spite of all his mistakes he thinks Miller is "good at relationships."

This led me to think:

"What if in spite of all my mistakes and past/present relationship baggage, I am good at relationships?"

It’s always some combination of both right? I certainly have had times where I am very bad at relationships. I cause hurt, pain, I judge others, I act arrogantly/selfishly, I lack patience, I don't give grace. But I’m also good at relationships. I love, I fight for the   highest good of others, I show compassion, humility, grace, etc.

I wonder what would happen if my identity wasn’t built on a false narrative in my head that I am just plain bad at relationships. I wonder what would happen if I stopped     viewing every conversation as nothing more than a battle to hide my flaws and started actively looking for the ways I could be a good gift to that other person.

Because I think we were created by God, in His image, to be good gifts to each other. 

Just check out Ephesians 2:10:

"For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

I think we were created to connect, to be in relationship, to build each other up as co-image bearers of Christ. I think we were created to have freedom in Christ and not be held hostage to the expectations of others or to hold others hostage to ours. I don’t     think life was meant to be a game of guilt, shame, identity bashing, control, manipulation, and constant fear.

What could we gain or give by seeing ourselves as God sees us (good gifts)? 

What would change in our lives if we weren’t driven by guilt, fear, and a need to controlothers? 

How would we begin to see our relationships evolve if we felt the freedom that comes
from knowing our identity in Christ?

What would it look like to truly love one another instead of isolating ourselves or alwaystrying to prove ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment