Thursday, July 21, 2011

"It's so hot! Milk was a bad choice!"

It is so sweltering hot in my house right now! Seriously, the heat is too much too handle. And as the quote from "Anchorman" that comprises the title of this blog suggests, when its this hot, the least satisfying thing one could drink is milk.

Dairy Products just simply dont have the nutrients or chemical makeup to replace all the water one loses in their body when they sweat. Any dairy product would be a bad idea to consume in a moment of pressure. I mean, could you imagine watching game 7 of the NBA Finals and seeing all the players on the bench with a carton of milk? Or Aaron Rodgers sitting on the sideline at the Superbowl flagging down the trainer to bring him a cup of yogurt after his just scored the winning touchdown? (In case you forgot, let this Browns fan remind you, the Packers beat the Steelers).

No, when the pressure is on, when the heat is turned up, when it's a clutch moment, athletes have to consume the appropriate fuel. If they dont, then they are going to have a hard time succeeding when it counts.

Just as with sports, there are moments in life when the pressure is on, the heat is turned up, and the stakes seem too high. 

A lot of those moments happen during transitional periods in life. Think about someone who is about to get married, in between jobs, finding themselves without a home, having to get some toxic relationships out of their lives, or who just graduated from high school or college.

I definitely fall into that last example having just graduated college. I feel enormous amounts of pressure on my life right now. As a good friend said "time to put on your big boy pants." With the pressurized time comes so much self doubt, doubt in God and others, and a temptation to act in depression and hopelessness for the future.

It causes me to reflect a lot on my past, something I dont like doing, and it forces my true character to come out. 

Unfortunately during this season, more often than not, I have consumed the wrong things spiritually. Knowing that this is a clutch moment in life I have choosen to consume depression, anger, and so much else that is unhealthy spiriutally. I have choosen to walk as my own man and close myself off from genuine connection and relationship with others.

As I think on the path my life is taking, I have been studying the book of Acts. Now these followers of Jesus were doing amazing things almost immediately after Jesus ascended into Heaven. They were preaching the word, being filled with the Spirit, and healing the sick. Peter even heals someone with his shadow!

Here's the catch though. I cant imagine the kind of pressure they must have been under. Think about it, the Lord and Savior of Earth Jesus Christ just rose up into Heaven and charged these 12 with his entire legacy. He essentially said, you are filling my shoes now, I'm passing the torch. He even told them they would do greater things than himself! Talk about pressure! 

However the dicsiples rose to the occasion, but only through the power of the Holy Spirit, and they knew it too. In Acts 3:12, after just healing a man with his touch Peter says "Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we made this man walk?"

The crowd was astonished and about to turn Peter into a rockstar and he was like, Hold up a minute! This is all because of God's power! Dont think I'm awesome!

I know you want your life to have significance. I know you want to chase your dreams, I know you dont want to be mediocre. But I promise you if you enter into the pressure of life without the Holy Spirit walking in every step with you, if you reject the living water of Christ (John 6:35, John 4:13-14) for the milk of selfishness, worldly pursuit, etc.... then when that clutch moment comes, you are going to struggle to succeed.

I know you may have been hurt, I know it may be hard to trust. But you can trust and hope in God, he isnt going anywhere. Next time you are tempted to think really highly of yourself, or even to think low of yourself, remember that in Christ, through the Holy Spirit, you will accomplish great things for the kingdom. 

Most importantly, know that no matter what, you are significant already.

No comments:

Post a Comment