Thursday, December 1, 2011

Followers of Jesus, Follow Jesus.

So I have been learning a crazy thing lately: Followers of Jesus actually follow Jesus.

If you read the gospels you find that the people who followed Jesus didnt just say "Hey Jesus I like what you teach and I think its great, you go on your journey and I'll chill out at home and check in every once in a while."

Some, like the rich young ruler, really wanted to follow Jesus but could just not come to grips with departing from their ways and their ideals about life.

But the people that actually followed Jesus, left everything behind, and set out on foot with him. They walked beside him, they ate with him, they journeyed with him physically.

Jesus even says in Matthew that one who would not leave behind Father or Mother or Brother or whatever and whomever was not worthy of following him. 

I'll keep it simple. I'm tired of following people. I'm tired of people following me. I only want to follow people in so far as it leads me to Jesus. I only want people to follow me in so far as it leads them to Jesus.

I want to hear his heartbeat. I want to walk in his footsteps. I want to walk with the person of Jesus. Not just an idea, a mission, a way of life. I want to be close with Jesus. I want to know each day how I can die to myself.

It's the only way that makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment